Monday, September 30, 2013

Deployment Care Packages

Sometimes, I don't really understand how long we've been doing this military life. 15 years. 16 in January. In 4 years my husband will be retired!?! Seriously, it's hard to wrap my brain around. I still have to pause and calculate when I'm asked How long has your husband been in? At some point, this long journey to 20 years hit a fast forward button and we have 4 years left. It's weird. I never ever believed the old timers who would tell us the 20 years would go fast. Now I realize they were right. Maybe the first ten years passed slowly but the past six... a blink of an eye.

Promotion to Lance Corporal



With 15 years behind us, you better believe we've done deployments. Not as many as most, especially with Iraq and Afghanistan, but enough to matter. Heck, my mentality is 'one is more than enough'. We did a Korea trip, three Iraq deployments, and a MEU. Korea was in 2001. I'm pretty sure we were using email and snail mail for morale boosters. When my husband went to Iraq, I started sending care packages.

Homecoming 2005
Back in the day (circa 2003), the Marines ate hamburgers and hot dogs practically every day of deployment to Iraq. It didn't take long before they burned out on the limited fare. So, I sent a crockpot and the family would send care packages full of canned goods and spices. The Marines would do the bachelor thing and just mix random things together for soup. I guess it was much better than the alternative. There was even a hot dog soup. Eww!




Not until my husband's recent MEU did I start sending theme care packages. It was fun for the kids and me too. I wasn't quite sure what my husband would think but the themes were actually enjoyable for him. I guess when you are deployed things start to feel like Ground Hog Day. The same day after day. I guess a fun care package helps break things up! Add a little color and excitement to the desert sand or grey metal of a ship.





I'm sort of creative when it comes to simple things. Pinterest still helped jumpstart ideas for themed care packages. Instagram is surprisingly helpful too. Hashtag #carepackages or #militarycarepackages for pictures of military care packages. There is also a blogger, Army Wife Housewife, who posts creative care packages ideas frequently. You can check out my Deployment Pinterest Board for a few ideas. The themes are endless.


Nicole
Linking up with Eights on The Move

11 comments:

  1. Love this and definitely going to have to keep it in mind! Plus I never thought of searching the hashtags on Instagram..great idea! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A crock pot is such a genius idea! I'm definitely using that idea when my husband deploys again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally believe that one is more than enough also! LOL That's awesome that you sent a crockpot!!! I never thought to do that!! If there is a next time, I will remember that! They're cheap too, so it wouldn't be a huge loss if it breaks or gets left behind.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely love putting together care packages, even though I'm dreading Kyle deploying again I am exciting to put some ideas together. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love these! I am going to have to remember to search on insta when that time comes. I haven't gone through a deployment yet, but I think I will have your mentality- one is more than enough!

    XOXO
    Chelsea
    http://anchorsaweigh-ouradventure.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much for these! I've been pinning like a mad woman on Pinterest but I love your ideas too!

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are all wonderful care packages!
    Thank you all for your service.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love them! Now I'm nervous to send you a Cara Box! You've got high expectations, LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love it! I just did my first care package for the husband and I have to say I had a TON of fun with it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are brilliant ideas! I'm hoping our care package days are behind us for awhile, but I'll bookmark this in case I need it in the future! Congrats on being in the top 10 Military Mom blogs at Voiceboks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Found you through MM linkup!
    A crockpot is a great is a great idea!! I will definitely keep that in mind when the time comes!!! Cute packages!

    ReplyDelete