Friday, May 24, 2013

The Ugly Side of Me


Today is an exercise in humility. I think the above picture is a good start. Not the most flattering. Plus it's a good illustration of what life is really like when parenting tween-agers.

The Every Day In May prompt: list your 3 worst traits...On your blog. You know, for all the world to see, friend and foe alike. I can just see the people who dislike me nudging their friends whispering "See I told you!"

For someone who struggles with opening up about normal chatty stuff, I am going way outside my comfort zone. I must admit the more I do, the easier it gets. I keep putting myself in a position to be judged and I'm getting to the point where I say "To Hell With It". I think this birthday creeping up next week is giving me attitude. I'm feeling old-er. I'm losing my glossy finish.

Back on topic... here is the dirt...on me.

My biggest character flaw is my cautious approach to life, to people. I am cautious to a fault. It works for me because I don't make hasty decisions I regret. Which also means I can't make spontaneous decisions either.  I keep everyone out of trouble. But I'm also the wet blanket. I make friends slowly. I'm a great acquaintance or friend but rarely the BFF. This is a trait I have tried to work on. I really dislike this about myself.

#2 I have high expectations. I hold myself to a high standard. I hold others to a pretty high standard. It's a lot of pressure for everyone involved. I don't expect anything I'm not willing to give. No double standards. And I am super supportive when everyone is trying their best. But when someone wants to take the easy way out, I'm the first to call them out. Bad bad quality. I will say when it comes to my kids I think am realistic in my 'high expectations'. Nobody is stressed usually. Thank you Ms. Davis for setting me straight all those years ago. I have mellowed out tremendously. 

My third worst trait is my memory. My brain was designed to hold on to all kinds of things. You can probably guess where this is going. My poor husband. Anyone really. Arguing is pointless. I've got a mental log of everything you've ever done, said, or thought about for the past 30 years. And I will bring it up.

There you have it. I'm not perfect. I have flaws. I'm not proud of them. But I have the best of intentions...mostly...except when I argue. Then I usually just want to make the most valid argument.


Nicole

5 comments:

  1. I think that's an awesome picture! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. #2 is one of my worst traits also. I have very high expectations for everything, which usually leads to me being disappointed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good job going out of your comfort zone! I am also one of those people that remember every little detail.. as long as there is some sort of emotion involved (ie arguments). My poor hubby is right there with yours!

    ReplyDelete